Sunday, September 25, 2011

If I give you a dollar, you can keep most of the change, all I want is a quarter back.

   Fantasy Football is a fickle beast that's for sure.  Until a few years ago I never played in a league with more than 1 other person I knew.  That is due mostly to me being a big nerd, and most big nerds not being sports fans. So yes, that makes me an outcast even in the nerd community.
   About three years ago I joined a league with anywhere from 8-10 people from the Monroe area.  I know most of them, even if I don't know them really well. That makes the league a little more fun, when you can beat, or get beat by someone you know.
   My first year in the league I was a late add, and didn't get to live draft, so I suffered through a season of mediocrity, and finished the year by losing the third place game, fourth out of ten wasn't terrible, but I knew I could do better.  Sure some of the guys in the league are smarter than me, and most if not all are wealthier than me, but I was a former sports writer and at the time a recent college graduate with a lot o free time on my hands.
   When the next season rolled around we lost three players, and added one "rookie." The rookie being a fantasy football veteran with a knowledge all of the game greater than my own.  We separated into divisions for the first time, which at 4 teams each made being able to beat your own division important.  In the league we play the division teams twice each, and the non-division teams once each.
   The best three teams in the league were unfortunately all in my division, but I hung in and only had 3 losses in the regular season, two of them to the Rook.  We were fast on a collision course in the championship game, when the unthinkable happened.  Both of our teams suffered some pretty heavy under performances in the semi-finals and neither of us made the title game.
   Again I lost the third place game, making me finish 4th in the 8 team league that year. I had the second best record, and had scored the most points of any team in the league.
   This year I was more prepared than ever before for the draft. Seven of us returned with one newbie this season as well, a man I know nothing about. I really wanted to draft 4th or 5th ideally to get the best chance at a good top to bottom roster. I drew the 8th spot for the draft, which I found out 9 minutes before the draft. *gulp* That changed my draft strategy completely.  Instead of going conventional I drafted Wide receivers with my first two picks, Andre and Calvin Johnson.
   That move worked perfectly, not only did I get the top two receivers, but it spooked a few other managers into going early and drafting WR's with their next picks leaving me a pair of really solid running backs with my next two picks.
   I ended up with most of what I wanted, though I got there unconventionally, I drafted Peyton Manning in the mid rounds, thinking he'd be out a month at most, so a QB wasn't a big priority, I also snagged Tony Romo, whom I have no confidence in, but though could manage until Manning was back.
   Just days later we found out that Manning will most likely miss the entire season, so I chose to spot start his replacement week one, whom I had to pick up off the waiver wire.  It was a mistake. I thought the team would be down a lot and he'd get a ton of yards in the second half, they were, and he did, but he also tossed 3 interceptions making his score low.  Luckily I finally beat my buddy and won week 1.
   Week 2 I started Romo, and he missed half the game with an injury, but came back in to throw for a TD and well over an extra 100 yards in the fourth quarter and overtime.  That injury turns out to be cracked ribs and a punctured lung. He may play Monday night, but I can't start him.
   So again I was scouring the waiver wire.  I picked up Joe Flacco, who would be fine in a pinch, but I don't have confidence in him either.  Finally I decided to spot start Ryan Fitzpatrick, playing against the Patriots.  My thinking the same as week one again, that he's throw for a ton of yards while trying to make up a huge deficit.  It worked once again, the stats aren't in for the week completely, but I have a big lead heading into the afternoon games and Fitzpatrick scored 21 fantasy points for me, and lodged a comeback to beat the Patriots from down 21-0.
   Still in the fickle world of Fantasy Football, I have no idea what I'll do for a quarterback next week.  I guess life ain't easy for "A Boy Named Suh"


League standings going into week 3:
Division A

1.A Boy Named Suh2-0-0






5.Strange Daze1-1-0






6.Team T-M-T1-1-0






7.MotorCity Gearheads0-2-0
Division B
2.D Fence2-0-0






3.Dickens Cider1-1-0






4.4th & Chuck Long1-1-0

0-2-0







8.Billys Bombers                                           


Ndamukong Suh, the inspiration for my team name.

14 comments:

  1. Clever pun. Though some of these sound more like funny racehorse names

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year I was the "Breaston Plants" Named for Steve Breaston. I try to be funny with the names, it doesn't always work though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will Work For Free, that should be a name for something. Maybe a band.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The production company when I make my next movie. Will Work For Free Productions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously that is who produces my TV work, duh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And here I thought you were going to take control of Bad Hat Harry and Bad Robot and create Bad Bad Harry Robot's Hat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Publishing company to print out scripts for extra cash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Run by Joey The Lemur, a friend to mankind. Joey The Lemur, he really does shine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was gonna let Matches Malone run the joint, but if you insist on Joey, that's cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know about that Matches guy, I hear he's got a few too many bats in his belfry

    ReplyDelete
  11. So what if he's a tab bit dark and brooding. He's effective.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to hook you up with this real upstanding fellow, a Mr P. N. Guin

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard he's a bit for the birds as well.

    ReplyDelete