Friday, September 14, 2012

A case of the Thursdays ...

Many people claim to “hate Mondays,” well after the last few weeks, I hate Thursdays.

A recent Thursday started off great, I got to sleep in a bit because I had a 10:30 doctor’s appointment meaning that I wouldn’t be heading into work until after. Since my doctor’s office is only four miles from my house, I didn’t have to get up before 7 a.m. Like usual.

It was all downhill from there.

I woke up about 8 a.m. Only to discover that my ap-pointment hadn’t been logged by the doctor, so I wouldn’t be getting the “good” news in the form of test results from my doctor.

I decided to make the best of it, and made a quick ap-pointment for my border collie/chow mix at the veterinarian because she’s having skin issues.

The good news is that my vet was able to help me get her issue under control; the bad news is that I was out about $95 and now have to figure out how to get her to take pills multiple times a day.

Then it was time to head off to work, but first I needed gas. Of course, had I filed the tank the night before it would have been nearly 30 cents cheaper per gallon. When you drive 40 plus miles each way to work, those pennies add up quickly.

Thursdays are typically a late night at work for me, and starting off three hours late in the morning didn’t leave me thinking I’d be heading home anytime soon.

But wait, there’s more. I had forgotten that I had promised a colleague at the Dearborn Press & Guide that I would help him with doing play-by-play for the opening night of the high school football season, meaning that I had to take another three hours or so out of the evening.

It was the first time that the P&G had ever done a live Web stream of a sporting event, and he was nervous — though he’ll never admit it.

I have a background in radio, and I love football, so it was a good fit, but I had totally forgotten about it being that day.

On my way to the game, I received a call with news from the doctor. He told me that I have diabetes. Not a shock, but not something you want to hear on the phone either.

The broadcast went well, but that forced me to work until after 2 a.m. by the time I got the rest of my work done.

I don’t mind the late nights every now and again, so that wasn’t a negative.

Normally when I work late, I stay with my dad and step-mom. They live in Gibraltar, so it makes it nice to have a place to crash sometimes.

They hadn’t received my phone call that I’d be by really late, and locked the door. That wouldn’t have been an issue, but several months ago I misplaced my keys to their house.

Dad gets up early for work, so I decided to sit in the driveway for the two hours until he would get up rather than waking him early. He can be kind of cranky after all.

So I parked at the end of the drive, and fell asleep in the car. Apparently the next morning he didn’t notice me in the car and left for work, locking the door once again behind himself.

That left me heading off to a 9 a.m. meeting with the new principal at Arno Elementary School in fresh clothes, but sans a shower.

Fast forward a week … I was finally able to get in to see the doctor, but wasn’t made aware of the appointment until Wednesday night, so I hadn’t been able to plan for it.

The appointment went OK, though I had to wait about half an hour, which wasted most of my morning by the time we were done, and I got more pills to take for various medical issues.

I’ve always been relatively healthy other than my weight issues, so all of these pills are bothering me, but I’ll learn to manage.

After that, I ended up working until after midnight again, though this time I didn’t try to stay with my dad.

Problem was, I spent most of the rest of the normal work day waiting on people to call me back for stories, which never happened.

I didn’t get a single comment on the record all day.

Such is the life of a journalist, I suppose.

Contact Video Coordinator Dave Herndon at 1-734-246-0867 or Follow him on Facebook and @NHDaveH on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment