Monday, May 14, 2012

At this level, it's all about sportsmanship



Took a trip out to see my cousin's twins play baseball today after a long day of working from my easy chair. I of course was working from home due to a massive sunburn earned Saturday while I was out at the 27th annual News-Herald Track & Field Championships, but that's a tale for another time.

Today it was all about watching the boys' play baseball. Little did I realize that at this level, which is one up from t-ball where they have a machine pitching to the kid's that it's more a social day for the kid's and parent's that a baseball game.

First off, they only get to play three innings, and each batter gets six pitches, making it odd if it's your first time seeing the game played this way. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that I'm not used to it.

The team that the twin's were on had at least 12 kids, while the team they were playing had six. Odd when they let them all play at once, it surely wasn't 'fair' when it came to fielding, but ultimately it's all about teaching the kids to play, and be good sports, not winning and losing.

The twins team is now 3-0. Their little sister starts playing on her team next week. I can't wait to get out to one of those games too.

No comments:

Post a Comment