Monday, June 18, 2012

Is that bacon in my ice cream?

I can’t believe I ever thought it was a bad idea.
But I did in fact think it was a bad idea.
In fact I expected my taste buds to be assaulted in ways that they never had been before, and then some.
Not only did I think it was a bad idea to make, but I couldn’t believe that I was going to actually try it.
All of these thoughts, and more were running through my head as I pulled up to the drive through window last Friday.
“Welcome to Burger King, how can I help you,” is what I heard.
“I’d like to try one of those new sundaes, the one with bacon,” I mildly replied.
“Does that complete your order,” the disembodied voice of a young girl responded through the speaker.
“Yes.”
“That’ll be $2.75 at the second window, please pull around.”
And that was it I had ordered a Bacon Sundae. Now all I had to worry about was what it would taste like.
After another exchange with the people working the window, I pulled away. The concoction came in a large plastic container with an airtight lid.
I couldn’t wait to get this over with, so I popped the top, and immediately the sweet smell of bacon wafted up to my nose and filled the car with a great scent.
It was another two miles before I could actually bring myself to taste it, and at first I only tried a bit of ice cream that was free of any bacon.
At the next red light, I decided to take the plunge, and took a bit, that included bacon chunks. After plunging the spoon into my mouth, WOW. The flavors were amazing, it was like nothing I had ever tasted before.
The perfect blend of sugar and salt, two things that are fantastic alone, and surprisingly even better together. It was astounding.
I can’t believe I ever doubted how awesome this thing would taste.
My only thought after finishing it, how soon is too soon to go back for seconds?

No comments:

Post a Comment