Friday, September 23, 2011

Fryday Anyone?

   I fully expect most of you to not get the title unless you are fully entrenched in pop culture, and also listen to the Hollywood Babble-On Podcast, hosted by Ralph Garman and Kevin Smith. Be that as it may, it makes me laugh, so deal with it.
   Yes you guessed it, I am blogging about the Rebecca Black song "Friday" and not ironically but purposely posting this on a Friday, as you see, I'm not really very witty, I should have done the ironic thing and posted this next Tuesday.
   First a brief history, Rebecca Black is a 14-year old girl with slightly wealthy parents. Yes I'm assuming there, but hey they put out $4,000 but their supremely untalented daughter to record a song. What it boils down to is that the girl has no talent, and the song was written by this company for her in about 10 minutes, but like most popular songs it has a somewhat catchy hook.
   Social media went nuts a few months after this song, and its accompanying music video were uploaded by Shoutfactory to its Youtube stream.  Even with all of the autotuning going on, the girl still sounded dreadful, but she managed to get about 100,000 views, which is quite impressive for a then 13-year old girl who is not famous and has no talent.
   Then in March of this year, Daniel Tosh discovered the dreadful song.  He posted about it on his blog. Tosh has a lot of followers, they clicked through and the song blew up. She started getting hits in the millions on the youtube video that had since been moved to her own personal account. At least her parents were smart enough to buy the rights to the music and the video included in that $4,000 price.  The song also became available on ITunes and sold about 40,000 downloads within a week.
   I just don't see why everyone picks on her so much.  She's managed to become famous, made some money and even got to be part of a Katy Perry music video.  If you don't like her music, simply don't listen. For me, I'll be listening each Friday, and attempting to hear the song in Ralph's "FRYDAY" girl voice.
   What do you think, should people let it go and let her move on? I mean come on she's only 14. If you want to blame someone, blame Daniel Tosh, he's the one that made the world aware of her existence.



   Please feel free to follow me on twitter @NHDaveH or check out my Facebook page

Stoke Me a Clipper, I'll be back by Monday!

9 comments:

  1. Here's the problem I have with the "don't like it, don't watch/read/listen to it" concept. Let's take something like Jersey Shore, for example. A lot of us hate it, so we choose not to watch it. We go listen to the radio and by coincidence, they might be talking about the show. So, we go read a newspaper. And guess who shows up. Now, obviously the line would end somewhere but when something becomes that big, it finds a way of getting to you. So, there is validity to complaining about something that you don't like. If given enough attention, it escapes beyond the original medium. And that leads to the counter-debate about "negative attention is still attention" and the solution, as The Simpsons discovered, was that by ignoring something, the power vanished (or "just don't look, just don't look"). But I digress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the solution is to do what I suggested in the first place? Which was also not the solution? Very circular, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggest putting something awesome on to counterbalance the black hole of suck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something awesome like, say MC-Chris, or classically awesome such as Elvis or the Rolling Stones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now there's an eclectic mix. Start off with some Hoodie Ninja, go to If I Can Dream and top it off with some Beast Of Burden. Maybe add Immigrant Song, The Night Santa Went Crazy, Still The Same, One, Save Me, Mysterious Ways, Shooting Star, Unskinny Bop, Cherry Bomb, Hands Clean, Just Like A Pill, The Majesty Of Rock. I could go on forever

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please feel free to, I'm sure the readers are just as fascinated by your eclectic tastes as I.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, and I could set it to the tune of We Didn't Start The Fire too

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is why I claim that you are more creative than I. You think in such abstract ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do crazy things when I'm off my meds... wait, why did I reference a comic you haven't read yet?

    ReplyDelete