Friday, September 30, 2011

Got A Case Of The Hiccups And A (Corner) Gas Attack?

   Now for a little dose of Canada. flashback two years ago, I've never heard of "Corner Gas" when I happen upon it on a TV station. I don't remember now which episode it was, but the bit I saw was hilarious. It inspired me to put it on the DVR list and get cracking on watching. 
   I saw them all out of order, but in the end it's a sitcom so it's not important really. The show was comedy gold, I know this not because I liked it, but because even my mother liked it, and she rarely likes the shows I do when it comes to non-American stuff.
   Flash forward to last week, I was considering buying some of the "Corner Gas" DVD's as it is rarely shown in syndication in America anymore, while perusing the online DVD shop I use (nope no free plugs), I found a series that was also created by Brent Butt and that also starred him and another of his "Corner Gas" co-horts Nancy Robertson.
   Ironically in "Corner Gas" Butt owned a gas station and Robertson works for him, in "Hiccups" Robertson is a children's book author and Butt is her life coach, so he works for her. The role reversal here works. I bought the complete first season on DVD and watched it all in a 2 night span this week. The show feels more like a season two or three from the onset.  Mainly because Robertson and Butt had spent six years working together on "Corner Gas" but the rest of the new cast fits right in and you feel like you've been watching these characters for years. It probably doesn't hurt that Butt and Robertson have been married since 2005 either.


4 comments:

  1. I saw a copy of Corner Gas Season 2 on a bargain bin table the other day. If Season 1 had been there, they'd be sitting here right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend picking it up anyway if you happen back by it. You don't need to see it in order in order to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah but I like seeing things in order, especially if there's character development

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I'm normally the same way, but with this show you really don't need to.

    ReplyDelete