Thursday, September 22, 2011

How Sonic is your Screwdriver?

I would gladly credit that art to whoever made it, but I received it in an e-mail and don't know who actually made it.  If anyone out there does know, please tell me.

   That's right Whovians, it's time I got around to discussing the longest running science fiction TV show in the history of the known universe. Doctor Who is more than a TV show or some books or whatever you may try to classify it as. Sadly until recently it went mostly unknown in the US. For a show that has been on the air for the better part of 50 years, it rarely got airtime on this side of the pond when I was younger.  It's a very sad thing really.  It's not like the UK has been hoarding the show, it just never got much interest here as Americans stuck with shows like Star Trek and Lost is Space, both of which were comparable shows to early Who episodes.
   I can't speak definitively as I wasn't alive during much of the first run of the show.  The show originally ran from 1963 until 1989. I wasn't even born until December of 1985, so I think it's excuseable that I missed out on the original run. I also missed the only US broadcast of the TV movie made in 1996, again I was not quite 11 and not yet into Sci-Fi, though had it been advertised during an episode of Power Rangers or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I probably would have been all over it, though those are blog topics for another day.
   I am ashamed to admit that when the relaunch came about in 2005, I also missed that at first.  It wasn't until mid 2007 that I saw my first episode, seven of them in one day to be exact.  It was the same friend that turned me on to the show Scrubs, where I also first saw it in a Marathon format. Sorry I keep getting off topic, but I've got 25 years of stuff to cover here, and at four or five posts a week I'm actually falling behind... Ooh something shiny on my desk. Once I saw my first few episodes of Doctor Who, they were all with the 9th Doctor for those keeping track, I was hooked.  I've now seen every episode and special from 2005 onward, and probably 100 classic Who episodes.  I own about 25 classic Who DVD's, all the seasons from the re-launch and the 1996 movie.
   Well that's it for now, a quick introduction to my Whovian lifestyle.  Please expect more on the Doctor in the future as well.  I've got lot's of stories, I mean I haven't even touched on the spin-offs yet. We all miss you Sarah Jane Smith.
   Leave me a comment and let me know how sonic your screwdriver is.

Please feel free to follow me on twitter @NHDaveH or check out my Facebook page

And don't forget to follow the words of Abe Lincoln and "Be excellent to each other."

7 comments:

  1. I saw every ep of the first season of the revival when it first came out though I had seen some before that, including the very first arc. My first Doctor, though, was the Seventh. I liked him, he was a very colourful fellow. Really need to get the older stuff and the third season of the revival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt Smith is quickly becoming "My Doctor" though for now it's still Eccelston. Not that there is anything wrong with Tennant, I had just seen Ecc first, and therefore already had a season's worth of attachment to him. I hated when I found out he had quit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a pity, he was really damn good. But he didn't want to be typecast, so I can respect that to a point. "Everybody lives, Rose! Just this once, everybody lives!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think that it was a disservice to the fans of Who to agree to be the Doctor for the comeback season, and then quit one year in. Probably bad career wise as well. He hasn't done a whole lot of big stuff since, other than the first season of Heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G.I Joe: The Rise Of Cobra is one of the bigger things I can think of, whether he wants to be remembered for it or not

    ReplyDelete
  6. But that's really it. I mean not a whole lot else post Who.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, I get you hooked on all the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete