Wednesday, January 1, 2014

James Avery, dead at 68, will always be remembered.

James Avery passed away on New Year's Eve 2013, that marks a huge loss from my childhood.
Most will remember as “Uncle Phil,” from “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air,” which is where Will Smith got his start as an actor. I however remember him also as the voice of The Shredder on the animated “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle,” cartoon show from the mid 1980's.
I've always been a fan of voice actors, so from an early age I pieced the two of them together as the same person.
When news of his passing came to my attention today, it saddened me greatly. Avery was 68-years-old, and had a very successful career.
I'm not going to write much on it though, instead I'm going to remember my favorite piece of his acting, from the “Fresh Prince,” finale.
It's near the end of the episode, when Will (Smith) asks Phil (Avery) if he would call on Sunday's like he was going to do with his actual children. Phil responds that Will is his son and that he would.
It was quite the powerful moment for a sitcom, and I was about 11-or 12-years-old when it aired.

Think I'm going to find that episode and watch it before I head off to bed, may I'll even get out my old Shredder action figure to set on the nightstand while I watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment