Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Election Day! (Get out and Vote)


   There is nothing more important in the U.S. than election day. Many men have fought and died for American's right to vote, and today is one of those days. I urge all of my American reader's (and that's most of you) to get out and vote.
   Here in the Downriver area, we have many very important races depending on what city you are in. Allen Park, one of the cities I specifically cover has two ballot proposal's, which depending on how they could will shape the city for at least the short term future. Whether they pass or not, will affect the way the city is run, at least for the next couple of years, if not for a lot longer. Allen Park also has candidates running for Mayor, treasurer, and all six City Council seats. Incumbent city clerk Mike Mizzi is the only one that knows for sure he will still have a job in the morning.
   In Taylor, sitting mayor Jeffrey Lamarand is facing a recall vote after just two years in office. Several other of the municipalities that the we cover have millage requests, or key races as well. I'm personally not knowledgeable on every race, it would be impossible to be so, but there is great coverage of all the races on thenewsherald.com.
   My own hometown had only a road millage on the ballot, and I'll be moving out of the town by the end of the month, so I didn't feel it right for me to cast my vote one way or the other to raise taxes, or not fix the roads, when it would not affect me, but I still went and got my ballot, then filed it as a blank one. I feel that strongly that it's important to get that "I Voted" sticker.
   Once again, Downriver, or where ever you may be, I urge you to get out and vote today.

2 comments:

  1. This isn't going to turn into a tie-in for Vote Or Die is it? What the Hell is that anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vote or Die was just a campaign slogan thing MTV did a couple of years ago. I just feel strongly about voting.

    ReplyDelete