Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Geekly Reader: It May Be Time To Sign Up For Amazon Prime

One of my favorite blogs on the thenewsherald.com, check it out.

The Geekly Reader: It May Be Time To Sign Up For Amazon PrimeDo you own an Amazon Kindle or plan on buying the new Kindle Fire?  If you do, you may want to also add the Amazon Prime service.  For $79 a year you can join Amazon Prime, which provides members with free two-day shipping (or $3.99 for next day shipping) on nearly everything on the Amazon site.  Earlier this year Amazon added a number of streaming movies and television series to the prime membership.  Amazon's streaming video selection is nowhere near the size offered by offered by Netflix, but it is a start.  Now Amazon has offered even more to the Amazon Prime Membership.

The Amazon Kindle Owners' Lending Library debuted this week.  Now, Kindle owners are able to borrow from a library of over 5,000 titles for no charge.  Readers may only borrow one book at a time.  There are also over 100 current or past New York Times Best Sellers available to borrow.  To borrow books, Amazon Prime members must own a Kindle, users of a Kindle app on a phone or non-Kindle tablet do not have access to the library. 

As an Amazon Prime member, I find this to be an amazing offer.  I frequently use the free two-day shipping feature and $3.99 for overnight is very reasonable.  Add in the free streaming videos as well and the lending library, and it is easy to see why some are calling Amazon Prime the "greatest deal in tech."  I may have to pick up the $79 Kindle, just so I can take advantage of the lending library.  I do most of my e-Reading on my iPad2, and I do have the Kindle app, but as I mentioned above, the lending library will not work with my iPad2.  What about you?  Will the addition of a lending library encourage you to buy a Kindle and/or add Amazon Prime to your Amazon account?  Have you already tried it out and borrowed a book?  How did it work for you?

Check out more of Mike's work on his blog, or at thenewsherald.com

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post Dave. I love your stuff. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same to you Mike. Hopefully you get a few new readers out of it.

    ReplyDelete